Saturday, January 7, 2012

Help, I'm a Sponge!

Okay, I have to admit it, at least to myself, I'm a sponge. I mean this only in the degree that my work is influenced by my environment, casual reading, conversations, dreams: you name it, it all creeps into my work. I can't help it.
Here's a for instance. Many of the things I was looking at around Halloween also included images and celebrations of Dia de los Muertos. I also had been looking at the work of Lorena Angulo. I love her work!! We are in some of the same groups on facebook, so I kind of keep tabs on what she is doing. (Lorena, I promise I am not stalking you!!)
I wish I had a side view with the
 decorative silver gallery wire but alas I don't
 and the piece is now winging it's way south to Texas!
I had decided earlier I needed to try out some new, less expensive materials. I bought some copper pipe fittings thinking I might be inspired to do something with them. As I was working I noticed my aesthetic had shifted a bit and realized I was unconsciously thinking about Lorena and her work, which is beautifully entrenched in Mexican culture. Even though the piece I was working on didn't have the same elements of birds and flowers that Lorena's does, I still felt her work helped to inform mine. I like to think of it as inspired by her. I think the pendant turned out pretty cool and I wish I had a side view to show you just how influenced I was!!  None the less, I will continue to explore the design.  

 And thanks Lorena!

2 comments:

Lorena Angulo said...

I am overwhelm and very honored to find out my work is inspiring to you.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
I love your piece and I will love to see the side view ;o)>.
I admire you as an artist and this is such an honor to me.
♥♥♥

Roberta Warshaw said...

I agree. Lorena has influenced so many of us. The way she uses hearts and makes them so interesting. Her style is always front and center in her work and that is NOT an easy thing to keep going.

I love your piece by the way!